Sunday, May 23, 2010

Marriage Equality Cake Pops

For class yesterday I had to bring in something for a call to action, as well as a dessert. I decided to combine the two and make these. I did my speech on legalizing gay marriage in California, something very personal for me, and I have been wanting to try to make cake pops for a long time. My original idea didn't work out, but these turned out positively adorable, and I'm very pleased.

A huge shout out to Marz for helping me obtain the ingredients and do the first steps- every baker needs some help!

The original recipe comes from bakerella.com, and it's very simple!

1 box cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can frosting (16 oz.)
Wax paper
candy melts (1 lb. pkg.)
Lollipop sticks
Edible ink pens or sprinkles

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can frosting. (I use the back of a large spoon, but it may be easier to use fingers to mix together. But, be warned, it will get messy. Also, you may not need the entire can of frosting, so start out by using almost the entire can and add more if you need to.)
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50)
4. Melt chocolate in the microwave per directions on package. (30 sec intervals, stirring in between.)
5. Dip the tip of your lollipop stick in a little of the melted candy coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)
6. Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.
7. Once firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.
8. Place in a styrofoam block to dry.
9. Decorate as desired
----------------------------
I didn't take step by step pictures, but I hope you'll forgive me.



Thats about 1/3 of what the recipe made. Yum!

Here are a few close up shots, before they got put into bags :)






Heidi, my awesome girlfriend, helped me put them into bags, and tie them with ribbons. Inside of the bags, we wrote out a message for each member of my class to sign an online petition for gay marriage.
The message read:
"Please visit www.hrc.org/millionformarriage and sign the petition for marriage equality"

And this is what they looked like before I distributed them to the class:



They were very fun to make- not the easiest thing I've made, but definitely worth it. And I've been wanting to do it for so long that it really helped prove I could do it!

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment